LOCATION: St. Paul, MN
JOB TYPE: Full-time. Semi-retired professionals are encouraged to apply for a part-time option.
We are looking for a Structural/Building Inspection Engineer to join our team and help our company continue to grow. The position will primarily consist of performing inspections of existing residential and commercial buildings and preparing written reports. Some projects will include light structural design to include wood, steel, and concrete design.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Perform inspections of residential and commercial buildings and prepare written reports.
- Provide structural designs, if applicable.
- Ensure billable time is captured accurately for each project.
- Maintain electronic files, photos, and documents for each project.
- Develop and sustain a good rapport with assigned clients by exploring specific needs, anticipating new opportunities, and providing clear and responsive communication about their projects.
- Collaborate with the operations team to develop proposals as needed, including establishment of project scope and fees.
- Perform other duties as directed by management.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Civil, Structural, Mechanical, or Geotechnical preferred).
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) in Minnesota.
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) in other midwestern states is a plus (WI, IA, NE, ND, SD).
- Minimum of 5-10 years of practical experience.
- Knowledge of residential and commercial building codes and methods.
- Knowledge of residential and light commercial structural design.
- Knowledge of retaining wall evaluation and/or design is a plus.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Expertise in translating client needs into a clear and precise scope of work.
- Ability to recommend and implement effective solutions.
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to work independently.
- Ability to convey objective, unbiased perspectives.
- Self-starter with a disciplined, observant, and detail-oriented nature.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to manage client relationships.
- Commitment to lifelong learning and enthusiasm for the type of work we do.
- Critical thinking mindset effective at problem-solving.
- Comfortable and capable of utilizing a variety of computer interfaces and software including MS Office, Google Docs, AutoCAD, EnerCalc, RetainPro, and Criterium Engineers’ proprietary software for inspection and report writing.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Frequent travel around the 13-county Twin Cities region with occasional travel to other areas in the upper Midwest to support client and company needs.
- Exposure to daily outside elements will be necessary to perform work at site locations.
- Use of a personal vehicle will be required (with mileage reimbursement).
- Regularly required to sit, stand, reach, bend, and move about on site.
- Able to carry up to 50 lbs., climb ladders, crawl in confined spaces, and walk on sloped roofs.
Criterium Engineers’ Mission Statement
- To be the leading provider of specialized engineering services for building owners, builders, buyers, managers, and developers.
- To enhance people’s lives through an improved understanding of the buildings in which they live and work.
- To use sound, practical, engineering judgment and skills when evaluating existing buildings.
- To continually improve our standard of service through clear and responsive communication.
- To approach each project as an opportunity to establish a new “personal best” in professionalism, service, and quality.
- To maintain a work environment that encourages and acknowledges exemplary service.